New Crypto-Secured Lending System with a Two-Way Collateral Function
Keywords:secured loans, two-way collateral function, crypto-secured lending systems, collateral, one-way collateral function, hedged portion
All existing secured loans, including crypto-secured loans, are provided under the condition that the collateral entrusted by the borrower is kept safe during the loan term. In other words, they use a one-way collateral function. Thus, a frequent drawback of these loans is that the collateral value increases if and only if the collateral price increases. To resolve this problem, this paper proposes a new crypto-secured lending system incorporating a new two-way collateral function. It would allow a borrower to invest proportions of their own collateral by predicting the market in both directions to make profits irrespective of whether the price of the collateral increases or decreases. This benefits the borrower since profit can be made even if the price of the collateral drops, by betting on the price decrease. This new lending system could include a new hedged portion, unlike traditional secured lending systems. As a result, larger loans can be made under this arrangement; further, this portion provides the advantage of reducing the underlying collateral price volatility risk.
Antonopoulos, A. M. The Internet of Money, volume 2. Okemos, MI: Merkle Bloom, 6 (2017).
Binance Research. “DeFi Series #1 - Decentralized Cryptoasset Lending & Borrowing.” No Publisher (2019) https://research.binance.com/en/analysis/decentralized-finance-lending-borrowing.
Chen, Y., Bellavitis, C. “Blockchain Disruption and Decentralized Finance: The Rise of Decentralized Business Models.” Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13 1-8 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2019.e00151.
Chen, Y., Bellavitis, C. “Decentralized Finance: Blockchain Technology and the Quest for an Open Financial System.” Stevens Institute of Technology School of Business Research Paper (2019) https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3418557.
Ellis, S., Juels, A., Nazarov, S. “ChainLink: A Decentralized Oracle Network.” No Publisher (2017) https://link.smartcontract.com/whitepaper.
Feng, F., Weickmann, B. “Set: A Protocol for Baskets of Tokenized Assets.” No Publisher (2019) https://www.setprotocol.com/pdf/set_protocol_whitepaper.pdf.
Fouda, M. “Dare To DeFi (Away From) Ethereum.” Medium (accessed 10 September 2020) https://medium.com/tokendaily/dare-to-defi-away-from-ethereum-12a633491f79.
Jácome, L. I., Mitra, S. “LTV and DTI Limits—Going Granular.” IMF Working Paper (2015) https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15154.pdf.
Juliano, A.“dYdX: A Standard for Decentralized Margin Trading and Derivatives.” No Publisher (2018) https://whitepaper.dydx.exchange/.
Kakavand, H., De Sevres, N. K., Chilton, B. “The Blockchain Revolution: An Analysis of Regulation and Technology Related to Distributed Ledger Technologies.” No Publisher (2017) https://ssrn.com/abstract=2849251.
Kubát, M. “Virtual Currency Bitcoin in the Scope of Money Definition and Store of Value.” Procedia Economics and Finance 30 409-416 (2015) https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01308-8.
Lamberti, F., Gatteschi, V., Demartini, C., Pranteda, C., Santamaria, V. “Blockchain or Not Blockchain, that Is the Question of the Insurance and Other Sectors.” IT Professional 1-1 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1109/MITP.2017.265110355.
Leshner, R., Hayes, G. “Compound: The Money Market Protocol.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://compound.finance/documents/Compound.Whitepaper.pdf.
Lin, L. “Deconstructing Decentralized Exchanges.” Stanford Journal of Blockchain Law & Policy (2019) https://stanford-jblp.pubpub.org/pub/deconstructing-dex.
No Author. “Collateral Debt Positions.” No Publisher (accessed 2020) Archived version available at https://web.archive.org/web/20200922052231/https://community-development.makerdao.com/makerdao-scd-faqs/scd-faqs/cdp.
No Author. “Collateral Ratio.” No Publisher (accessed 2020) https://loanscan.io/supplied-liquidity#collateral-ratio.
No Author. “Collateral.” No Publisher (accessed 2020) https://loanscan.io/supplied-liquidity#collateral-ratio.
No Author. “Crypto Lending Interest Rates for September 2020.” No Publisher (accessed September 2020) https://defirate.com/lend/.
No Author. “DeFi #2 - Arbitrage and Carry Trade Strategies.” Binance Research (2019) https://research.binance.com/en/analysis/defi-arbitrage-strategies.
No Author. “DeFi and Open Finance.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://defiprime.com/.
No Author. “DeFi and Open Finance.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://defiprime.com/.
No Author. “Defi Pulse.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://defipulse.com/.
No Author. “Earn Interest and Trading Fees.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://loanscan.io.
No Author. “HEDGE token: Mitigating BTC Risk.” No Publisher (2019) https://leveragedtokens.com/whitepaper.pdf.
No Author. “Libra.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://libra.org/en-US/white-paper/.
No Author. “What Is Decentralized Finance (DeFi)?” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://consensys.net/blockchain-use-cases/decentralized-finance/.
Peterson, J., Krug, J., Zoltu, M., Williams, A. K., Alexander, S. “Augur: A Decentralized Oracle and Prediction Market Platform (v2.0).” No Publisher (2019) https://www.augur.net/whitepaper.pdf.
Qureshi, Q. “Stablecoins: Designing a Price-stable Cryptocurrency.” Hackernoon (accessed 11 January 2020) https://hackernoon.com/stablecoins-designing-a-price-stable-cryptocurrency-6bf24e2689e5.
Schär, F. “Decentralized Finance: On Blockchain- and Smart Contract-based Financial Markets.” No Publisher (2020) https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.18469.65764.
Sebastião, H., Godinho, P. “Bitcoin Futures: An Effective Tool for Hedging Cryptocurrencies.” Finance Research Letters 33 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2019.07.003.
Senner, R., Sornette, D. “The Holy Grail of Crypto Currencies: Ready to Replace Fiat Money?” Journal of Economic Issues 53.4 966-1000 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1080/00213624.2019.1664235.
The Maker Team. “The Dai Stablecoin System.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://makerdao.com/whitepaper/DaiDec17WP.pdf.
Trinkler, R., El Isa, M. “Melon Protocol: A Blockchain Protocol for Digital Asset management.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://whitepaper.io/document/227/melon-whitepaper.
Wood, G. “Ethereum: A Secure Decentralised Generalised Transaction Ledger.” No Publisher (accessed 4 February 2021) https://ethereum.github.io/yellowpaper/paper.pdf.
Yang, Q., Zeng, X., Zhang, Y., Hu, W. “New Loan System Based on Smart Contract.” BSCI ’19: Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Symposium on Blockchain and Secure Critical Infrastructure. New York: ACM 121-126 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1145/3327960.3332395.
Zheng, Z., Xie, S., Dai, H., Wang, H. “An Overview of Blockchain Technology: Architecture, Consensus, and Future Trends.” IEEE International Congress on Big Data, BigData Congress, Honolulu, HI, USA 557-564 (2017) https://doi.org/ 10.1109/BigDataCongress.2017.85.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
- The Author agrees to digitally sign the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.